Why you should complete this activity
Creating a print-ready PDFs compliant to industry standard specifications such as the Ghent Working Groups (GWG) PDF/X Plus specifications helps to ensure that the page content prints predictably and correctly.
This activity is important because it illustrates how to create a print-ready PDF from Adobe InDesign using GWG recommend application settings.
GWG 2012 and 2015 can be used interchangeably in this document.
The 2015 specification is an extension of 2012 and are pretty much the same for the intention of this activity (4) and activity 47.
You can use either the GWG 2012 or 2015 Application Presets for this activity. However, we do not endorse the use of the RGB variants in the 2015 specification.
- Designers and print service buyers
- Prepress operators and managers
- GWG 2012 Specification
- GWG 2015 Specification
- GWG application settings
- Prinergy Workflow Workshop user guide and workflow wiki help
- For color-matched workflows, such as color conversions applied with Kodak ColorFlow Ink Optimizing solution, it is recommended that you use GWG version 4 (1v4) application settings that restrict the use of transparency. Designers and print buyers should consult with their printer for advice on which GWG application settings to use.
- It is also recommended that you review the GWG recommendation for use of standard ICC profiles for printing on the Ghent PDF Workgroup web site (http://www.gwg.org/recommended-icc-profiles/) in order to adjust the color settings to meet your printing requirements.
- Designers and print buyers need to consult their printer for advice regarding the best ICC profile to use or their regional printing association if there is no direct contact between the print buyer and the print service provider.
What you'll need
For this activity you need to locate:
Prinergy Activity Practice Files / Act_04_Prepare_print-ready_PDF
The instructor or coach will provide you with the location of the practice files.
What you need to know
GWG 2015 application settings for creating print-ready PDF can be downloaded from the Ghent Working Group’s web site http://GWG.org. The PDFs generated are created with settings that conform to PDF/X4 Plus specification that is subset of PDF/X4 (2010) standard with additional constraints to ensure printing is consistent and correct.
Note: If you are completing this activity on your own or coaching others in your shop, copy the
Prinergy Activity Practice Files folder (available on the Kodak Partner Place internet portal at https://partnerplace.kodak.com/) directly to your workstation. For further information about these procedures, see Activity 1.