- Created by user-f48d1, last modified by Paul Kong on May 26, 2023
You can align a printing device with an industry specification by creating a color setup, adding your device as the PCO, and selecting the industry specification as the PCO simulation target.
The PCO may have a colorimetric response or a tonal response, depending on the color response type in its device condition and the way the simulation target is defined:
- If the device condition in the PCO has a color and tonal response, you can generate ICC Device and DeviceLink profiles and use the tonal-match method or the gray-balance method to generate curves.
- If the device condition in the PCO has a tonal color response, or if the simulation target contains only tonal data (for example, if the simulation target is an ISO TVI curve), you can only use the tonal-match method to generate simulation curves.
Create a color setup and add a press as the PCO, and then import a measurement data file to establish a colorimetric response and a tonal response. This generates gray balance curves to align a press with an industry specification. Note that the device profile is only required if you are generating DeviceLinks. For this activity, there is no need to create a DeviceLink for final output so you don't need to generate the device condition profile and the PCO profile.
Task 1: Create a new color setup and add a press as the PCO
- In ColorFlow, click the Color Setups tab, and then click the Add button .
- The Devices dialog box appears. If necessary, open it manually by selecting View > Devices or by double-clicking the color setup viewer.
- From the Devices dialog box, add a new offset press device:
- Click Add Device.
- In the Device Type list, select Offset Press - Sheetfed.
- Name the device as Press A.
- Drag Press A to the center of the viewer window.
- In the Color Setups table, double-click the name of the color setup you just created and enter
GRACoL C1 2006.
- Select the Show in Prinergy check box.
- Click the Properties icon icon and define new properties for the device condition:
- Click the Edit button next to the Plate Setup list.
- In the Plate Type list, add or select Kodak Thermal Gold.
- In the Screening list, add or select 200 lpi.
- In the Plate Line list, add or select 100.
- Click OK.
- In the Substrate list, add or select Type 1.
Note: if you select properties that were used in a previous activity, the message Use Existing Device Condition appears. For the purpose of this training, you must use unique properties.
- Click the Measurements icon .
- In the Charts list, click P2P25Xa i1iSis (or P2P25 i1iO).
- In a real-life situation, you would need to export the chart, output the chart from Prinergy, and then measure the chart in ColorFlow. For the purpose of this training, you import a sample data file from your ColorFlow installation folder:
- Click the Measurement tab.
- Click Import.
- In the dialog box appeared, keep the default value and click OK.
- Browser and select \Program Files\Kodak\ColorFlow\SampleData\Measurements\ColorFlowSheetfed200lpiType1Linear.cgt
- Click Open.
- Click Close.
Task 2: Complete the color setup
- Click the Simulation icon
- From the Target list, select GRACoL 2006 Coated 1.
- From the Curves list, select Gray Balance.
- From the DeviceLink list, select None.
- Click OK.
Task 3: Output a page using the color setup in Prinergy
- In Prinergy, create a new job, and name it as
XX Press to Industry Spec(where XX = your initials).
- Refine GrayBalanceTestFile.pdf with 1stRef-Normz.
- Create a new Loose Page Output Process Template, and name it as
VPS - GRACoL:
- In the Output To list, select Virtual Proof.
- Select the ColorFlow Color Relationship Management check box.
- For Halftone Output Mode, select Print Production.
- In the Snapshot list, select Current State.
- In the Color Setup list, select GRACoL C1 2006.
- In the Device list, select Press A.
- Select the Device Condition.
- In the ColorConvert settings, leave the Match Colors In Page Content check box cleared. Color matching will not be applied on output.
- Save the process template.
- Select the test refined file, and process it with the process template VPS - GRACoL.
You have created a color setup to align a press to the GRACoL specification. The advantage of using a color setup rather than a print calibration curve to align a press with a specification is that you can align other printing devices with your press by adding them as the SCO in the color setup.
- No labels