Before you create any rule sets in RBA, develop a strategy by determining which Prinergy processes and activities you want to automate.
Develop a strategy for the rule sets you will create:
- Define a clear goal for each rule set.
- Identify the events in your Prinergy system that you can associate with desired actions.
- Work out a logical and simple sequence of Prinergy events and actions that lead to your goal.
- Think about the event information needed to choose useful parameters and parameter values for an action.
- Consider whether to chain events and actions or to create two or more separate rules in some cases, especially if you need a manual trigger to occur part of the way through a rule set.
- Identify any flow actions such as a filter, branch, or timer that can increase the usefulness of a rule.
- Consider whether you want e-mail notification of the result of a process in a rule.
You could consider automating:
- Repetitive processes
- Do you always refine input files when they are added?
- Do you always export a job to another plant for production?
- Do you always archive successfully completed jobs?
- Predictable job runs
- Do you run the same job regularly?
- Do you have jobs where the workflow steps change very little or not at all?
- Meeting standards
- Should you ensure that all pages are approved before the imposition is proofed?
- E-mail notification
- Should the operator get an e-mail message when a process fails?
- Should the operator get an email message when a process completes?