This section lists bugs and limitations that are known to exist in the software. If a future version of the software resolves a bug listed here, the bug is moved to the Fixed bugs section of the release notes accompanying that version of the software.
Digital Job Ticket Editor
- In Windows, when using Digital Job Ticket Editor from within Workshop to edit a job ticket, it is intended to behave as a modal window, that is, it should prevent interactions with other elements of the Workshop client user interface until you have completed your interaction with Digital Job Ticket Editor. The current behavior on Windows is non-modal and incorrectly allows other elements in the Workshop client to be edited while Digital Job Ticket Editor is open. Therefore, it is not recommended to do anything in Workshop until you have finished using Digital Job Ticket Editor (clicking Submit or Cancel ). [PRINERGY-40231]
When using Digital Job Ticket Editor from within Workshop (Send to Digital command) or when opening Device Track from the Workshops Tools menu, the Measurement Unit defined in Workshop's Preferences is used and the Weight Unit and Thickness Unit (Caliper) are taken from Setup's Preferences.
When Device Track is opened on the web (not from within Workshop), all unit settings in Digital Job Ticket Editor are taken from Setup's Preferences. [PRINERGY-42049]
- Settings available In RBA are not necessarily relevant to all digital devices. If you set a parameter which is not relevant for the selected device, this setting will be ignored when the rule is executed.
- In order for Device Track to operate correctly within Internet Explorer 11, the setting Display intranet sites in Compatibility View must be disabled. This setting is enabled by default.
To change the Compatibility View setting, in Internet Explorer, from the Tools menu, select Compatibility View Settings, and in the Compatibility View Settings dialog box, clear the Display intranet sites in Compatibility View check box, and click Close to apply the change. [PRINERGY-41259]
- In Internet Explorer 11, when you use the Refresh button in the browser to refresh Device Track, sometimes the data displayed is the data saved in its cache and not the data from the server.
When using Internet Explorer with Device Track, Device Track requires version 11 or later. [PRINERGY-41757]
- Resizing columns in Device Track may result in columns being pushed off screen. [PRINERGY-41180]
Digital output jobs may fail to output if moved from a Digital-Direct/Digital-Submit-connected device to a JDF-bi-directional-connected device. [PRINERGY-44863]
Due to limitations in third-party JDF implementation, some settings may not flow back to Setup when updated in the front end software. This can include: binding edge, maximum density, layout, and sheet size options. [PRINERGY-39050] [PRINERGY-39982] [PRINERGY-40039] [PRINERGY-40045] [PRINERGY-41511] [PRINERGY-41632] [PRINERGY-41732] [PRINERGY-41745] [PRINERGY-41836] [PRINERGY-41906]
- Setup may have problems being installed via Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome.
To install Setup via Microsoft Silverlight with Microsoft Edge, see the following support article from Microsoft: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17472/windows-internet-explorer-11-fix-site-display-problems-compatibility-view#ie=ie-11. [PRINERGY-41686]
If you are having problems installing via Chrome, use a different browser. [PRINERGY-41032]
- Setup cannot be installed via Firefox on Mac OS X 10.12 because Firefox on Mac OS X 10.12 does not support Microsoft Silverlight. Use a different browser to install and to start Setup. [PRINERGY-44565]
- If you try to import substrates and/or reload device capabilities (in Setup > Equipment > Digital Device) from a connected press or DFE while this device is down, the substrates and/or device settings will no longer be visible in the Digital Job Ticket Editor when you submit a job. Once the device is up and running, you must re-import the substrates and/or reload the device capabilities so that they are visible again in the Digital Job Ticket Editor. [PRINERGY-45261]
- In Job Finder, in the job advanced search feature, the search fails if you use the is not operator with a numerical value. [PRINERGY-38941]
- In Job Finder, in the job advanced search feature, if you select Any, the search results contain both jobs and pre-jobs that match the defined search criteria. [PRINERGY-39664]
Integration with ColorFlow
The following limitations have been identified for using the ColorFlow software with Prinergy:
Pages added to a ColorFlow-enabled job using Prinergy's Bypass Refine will have undefined Color Setup. This is expected behavior. Refining with ColorConvert enabled is recommended with ColorFlow integration.
If you attempt to output a file with a different snapshot number from the number you defined in the refine process template, an error message appears.
The following ColorConvert problems have been identified:
Color matching certain files with transparent objects can result in significant changes in appearance. The problem is file specific and is dependent on the transparency blending modes applied, the object's color and the DeviceLink or ICC profile used to colorconvert the objects. The problem occurs because each graphic and image object used in the transparency group is color-converted separately. Blending of the objects in the destination color space changes the appearance.
Recommendation: Flatten the PDF files. If your PDF files contain RGB data, it is highly recommended to Color-Convert this data prior to flattening. Refer to Answer ID 72326 for best practices and setting up a 2-Step refine.
Note: Contone proofing cannot be used to predict this issue when colormatching is performed on final output.
ColorMatch vector overprint handling of certain files with transparency groups that also use overprint management can generate unexpected results. The new objects generated by the ColorMatcher vector overprint handling process end up ruining the appearance. Contone proofing with raster overprint handling cannot be used to predict the problem with vector overprint handling used on final output. See the Prinergy help for detailed descriptions about the processing differences between raster and vector overprint handling.
Recommendation: Flatten the PDF files. If your PDF files contain RGB data, it is highly recommended to Color-Convert this data prior to flattening. Refer to Answer ID 72326 for best practices and setting up a 2-Step refine.
RGB Transparency Blend Color Space is not supported. Blend spaces should only be defined as DeviceCMYK.
Recommendation: Change the blend space in the input file or set up a Preflight+ profile to detect and/or fix the condition.
ColorConvert is automatically selected in Vector Output process templates after you upgrade to Prinergy 8.1. This is due to a migration script bug. If you have a Basic License which doesn’t enable ColorConvert, vector output will fail. If you are licensed for advanced Color Management, Color Conversion will be applied at output and may cause incorrect output. [PRINERGY-42167]
Workaround: open any Vector Output process templates which should not have ColorConvert enabled and clear the ColorConvert checkbox.
callas process plans and profiles that create layers or contain unlicensed DeviceLinks are not supported.
Kodak does not support or provide a license of callas pdfToolbox software. However, a copy of pdfToolbox (Preflight+ Profile Manager) is provided and licensed solely for the purpose of editing and creating preflight profiles that are to be used within Prinergy. Modification of the license as well as changing or upgrading the version of callas pdfToolbox that is provided with Prinergy is not recommended and not supported by Kodak. Kodak does not provide assistance or support for editing or creating new callas profiles. For information and support with the creation and editing of profiles, go to http://www.callassoftware.com/en/support/documentation.
Note: Kodak does support issues related to the integration of callas preflight within Prinergy Workshop.
- Report Page links are supported only when you copy the full report.
callas fix-ups are "use at own risk". Exercise extra caution and check your proofs closely when applying fix-ups.
callas Profiles and Prinergy support different variations of the Chinese character set.
- Simplified = ZH_CN (callas) = PRC
Simplified = ZH_Hans (Prinergy) = South East Asia and Singapore
Higher disk space demands—each PDF report contains a copy of the original Input PDF file.
- To avoid Preflight+ becoming a bottleneck in the Refine process, it is advised to purchase the same amount of Preflight+ JTPs as Refine JTPs.
- In translated reports, fix-up names in Preflight+ appear in English or in the language set in the operating system. If you chose to generate the Preflight+ reports in two or more languages (in Administrator: Tools > Configure System > Preflight+ Settings > Report Language, or in Setup: Preferences > General > Preflight+ Settings > Report Language), the names of the predefined profiles and fix-ups may appear in English or in the language set in the operating system in the translated reports instead of appearing in the defined language. [PRINERGY-38227]
- The use of variables that prompt users for input are not supported.
Adobe PDF Print Engine
The Adobe PDF Print Engine (APPE) RIP cannot process PDF files containing embedded PostScript objects, including pages that were processed with PostScript bypass or with the OPI bypass features of Prinergy.
The APPE RIP is the preferred RIP for Prinergy.
Observe the following precautions:
Proofs and plates: In plating jobs with the APPE RIP, be careful with plates that were proofed with the previous APPE RIP. Because the RIPs are different, there is a slight chance of an interpretation difference between proof and plate. Ideally, jobs should be plated with the same version of Prinergy that was used to generate the proofs.
Note: To avoid this situation you should coordinate hub and spoke configurations when upgrading Prinergy.
Reprints: For reprints of jobs that were printed previously using an older RIP, it is recommended that you rerun proofs using the new RIP to ensure there are no unforeseen differences between the original press run and the reprint.
Refine to PDF/x-1a fails when Lab Spot Color Libraries are loaded and you are NOT converting Spots
As of Prinergy 8.0, all factory Spot Color libraries were replaced with Pantone V3 Lab libraries. If you refine a file that contains a Spot Color that is defined in the Lab library, the Spot Colors Alternate Color Space will change to Lab. Since Lab is not allowed in PDF/x-1a, the process will fail.
To resolve this, you can remove the PANTONE V3 library or load a CMYK library, such as a legacy user or ColorBridge library (Answer ID 73041).
Note: If your incoming PDF has Spots with LAB Alternate Color space, you will want to have a CMYK Pantone library loaded, otherwise refine will also fail.
When converting Spots to Process, its recommended to use the new PANTONE V3 Library. See the About Pantone Libraries section of the Workflow Help for more information. (PRINERGY-43630)
Maxtone CX, Maxtone FX, and Maxtone SX RIP
Kodak Maxtone CX, Maxtone FX, and Maxtone SX screens are available for APPE RIP only. They are not available for use with CPSI RIP.
System spot color library L*a*b* 2000
When system spot color library L*a*b* 2000 is added to a refine process template, it may not appear in the spot color libraries list but it will be available to be used by refine processes created from the refine process template. [PRINERGY-44022]
Selecting “Replace variable marks in PDF content files” causes incorrect overprints on some objects
When using this setting you must follow the procedure outlined in Partner Place Answer ID 69302. Failing to do so could result in serious Output problems.
Register of a versioned page fails after the page has been opened in Acrobat on a Mac
If you open an LPV page in Acrobat and then re-generate it, the Register step will fail with an access violation message. This only happens when dealing with Windows 2008 servers and if the PDF has been opened on a Mac. [PRINERGY-29349]
Workaround: Unmount the Mac share.
Additional Register JTPs configured to run on a secondary server are incorrectly homed on the primary server after restart
Mitered joins in text objects
Mitered joins in text objects with very large strokes may render incorrectly in low resolution output (300 dpi). [PRINERGY-38023]
Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 and 2012 R2 operating systems
The following limitations have been identified when running Prinergy using the Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 or Windows Server 2012 R2 operating systems:
Not all legacy Kodak computer-to-plate (CTP) devices have controlled release software that is compatible with Windows 2008 R2 or 2012 R2. Contact your Kodak representative to confirm if your CTP device has a compatible controlled release software available.
Services for Apple Macintosh does not work with Windows Server 2008 R2 or 2012 R2. You must use SMB with named forks.
- After upgrading a Windows 2008 R2 server, SMB 2 will be incorrectly enabled which can cause performance and file consistency problems. Contact your local support representative to have it disabled again.
By default, Prinergy servers running Windows Server 2012 R2 are shipped with SMB 2 and 3 enabled. For best performance, all Prinergy servers and tertiary servers should be running Windows Server 2012 R2. If any of the Prinergy servers are running Windows Server 2008 R2 or any of the tertiary servers are not running Windows Server 2012 R2, SMB 2 and 3 need to be disabled so that SMB 1 is used. If this is not done, this can cause performance and file consistency issues. For assistance in disabling SMB 2 and 3, contact your local support representatives.
Security problem prevents starting Workshop on Mac OS X 10.8 and later
To enable activation of Workshop, perform the following steps: [PRINERGY-34821]
- Open System Preferences.
Click Security and Privacy.
Click the General tab.
Click the lock icon located in the lower-left corner of the Security & Privacy window.
Enter your administrator credentials to enable making changes to the settings.
Under Allow apps downloaded from, select Anywhere.
Close System Preferences.
Security problem prevents installing or starting Setup on Mac OS X 10.8 and later
To enable installation and/or activation of Setup, perform the following steps: [PRINERGY-41785]
- In Safari, go to Preferences > Security.
- In the Security window, click Plug-in Settings….
- In the left pane, select the Silverlight check box.
A list of servers is displayed in the right pane.
- In the menu located next to the relevant server, select Run in Safe Mode.
Note: In Mac OS X 10.12, press and hold down the Options (Alt) key, and in the menu located next to the relevant server, select Run in Safe Mode.
- In the confirmation message that appears, click Trust.
- Click Done.
- Exit Safari for the changes to take effect.
- Go to System Preferences > Security and Privacy.
- On the General tab, click the lock icon located in the lower-left corner of the Security & Privacy window.
- Enter your administrator credentials to enable making changes to the settings.
- In the Allow apps downloaded from setting, make sure that the App Store and identified developers option is selected.
- Close all windows.
Symantec Anti-virus may stop Prinergy from starting
Some updates of Symantec Anti-Virus interpret Prinergy’s ARAXI service as a threat. This has been addressed in newer updates to Symantec Anti-Virus. It is recommended that you update your virus definitions to avoid any problems with Symantec Anti-Virus affecting the operation of your Prinergy Workflow system. Alternatively, to exclude
araxi.exe from the threat list, refer to Partner Place answer ID: 72379. [PRINERGY-39813]
Network File System connectivity
Prinergy does not support The Open Group UNIX NFS (Open Group UNIX Network File System). You can access UNIX servers using an SMB/CIFS protocol installed on the server (such as SAMBA).
Windows 2012 R2 servers localized to Japanese
The fresh installer does not run on Windows 2012 R2 servers localized to Japanese. The server must be localized to English, or another supported non-Japanese localization before the fresh installer is run. Then, the server can be returned to Japanese localization. [PRINERGY-42036]
XMP Screening Tags
The current implementation of XMP screening tags in Prinergy 8.1 applies the full set of XMP screening settings to the output. (PRINERGY-43209)
NexPress Job Ticket Editor cannot be launched by Digital Submit on Windows 10
When running Digital Submit with NexPress on Windows 10, the Job Ticket Editor in Digital Submit fails to launch. [PRINERGY-41688]
Workarounds: To launch the NexPress Job Ticket Editor:
- Run Digital Submit and NexPress Job Ticket Editor on a workstation with a different operating system
- Manually launch the NexPress Job Ticket Editor outside Digital Submit.
HP Job Ticket Editor cannot be installed on Windows 8 and Windows 10
The HP Job Ticket Editor is software available from HP which is used in Prinergy Workflow when connecting to HP digital presses. The latest version of the software available from HP is not compatible with Windows 8 and Windows 10 operating systems. HP is aware of the issue and will address it in a future product update. [PRINERGY-41575]
- When using a Hewlett Packard SmartStream DFE connected to multiple presses, each press connected to the SmartStream DFE consumes a connection license from Prinergy Workflow. If you have more presses connected to the SmartStream DFE than you have licenses for connections in Prinergy Workflow, then Prinergy will not be able to connect with all presses connected to the SmartStream DFE. [PRINERGY-44364]
- If you try to import substrates and/or reload device capabilities (in Setup > Equipment > Digital Device) from a connected press or DFE while this device is down, the substrates and/or device settings will no longer be visible in the Digital Job Ticket Editor when you submit a job. Once the device is up and running, you must re-import the substrates and/or reload the device capabilities so that they are visible again in the Digital Job Ticket Editor. [PRINERGY-44749]
Perfect bound jobs with covers sent to Ricoh digital front end with PDF RIP Enhanced by Kodak type S4 may result in output with incorrect orientation. [PRINERGY-42077]
Due to limitations in JDF implementation for Ricoh digital front end with PDF RIP Enhanced by Kodak type S4, layout options are not currently supported. [PRINERGY-39050]
When sending a surface to Ricoh, the binding edge defined in the job will rotate 90 degrees clockwise due to geometry translation, but the end result of the output at the printer will be correct. If you have questions, contact your Kodak representative for assistance. [PRINERGY-42029]
Jobs printed successfully move to On Hold queue rather than Completed queue in Device Track. This is a known Ricoh bug. [PRINERGY-45100]
The status of coated or uncoated stock may not be imported or reflected correctly in Prinergy Setup for digital connections to Konica Minolta IC-602 or C1070 digital printer front end software. Job settings may need to be manually updated in the Konica Minolta software to complete output successfully. [PRINERGY-43211]
Due to a limitation in the bi-directional communication with EFI’s software, completed jobs are do not appear in Prinergy Workflow’s Device Track Completed queue and are not present in any queues upon completion. [PRINERGY-43780]
Prinergy Workshop localized to Japanese
Submitting a file to Prinergy Workshop localized to Japanese via drag and drop to a process template may cause Workshop to quit unexpectedly. [PRINERGY-43660]
Legacy Workspace Features
Workspace is an alternative job and imposition interface that was introduced in Prinergy 6.0 and supported through Prinergy 7.5. There are several elements that remain in the Prinergy Workflow user interface that are not supported with Workshop client workflows, for example:
- The Generate Imposition action in Rules Based Automation
- Run List Assignment in the Automated Page Assignment (APA) feature
- Intent Events and Actions
- The RunList Event
- Scenario Actions
- Validation Actions
- The Assigned Scenario Success Event
Note: It is recommended that you avoid using unsupported actions.
Prinergy Signature Select Limitations
Prinergy Signature Selection works in Preps 5 mode. Therefore, there are a number of limitations related to working with Preps 6 or later.
- It is not possible to edit come-and-go, cut-and-stack, and multibinding style jobs with Signature Selection. If you try to edit an imposition that uses any of these styles, the Use Prinergy Signature Selection option will not be available in the Edit Imposition dialog box. Instead, you will be able to select Use External Imposition Application to start Preps.
- If you create a come-and-go or cut-and-stack imposition using Signature Selection, and then edit the imposition using Preps 6 or later, a warning message appears, indicating that the job was produced in an earlier version of Preps. You can ignore this message.
- Signature Selection does not support import of Preps 6 jobs with come-and-go or cut-and-stack binding styles. When creating a new imposition, if you select Use existing Preps job and select a Preps 6 job with a come-and-go or cut-and-stack binding style, an error message appears. You have the choice of selecting a different job file or using external imposition software to create the imposition.
- When you create a new imposition, the come-and-go or cut-and-stack binding styles are available in Preps 5 mode only.
- Preps 5 and 6 differ in the way that they display cut-and-stack and come-and-go jobs. In Preps 6, cut-and-stack jobs are shown as multiple webs, and come-and-go jobs are shown as multiple sections. In Prinergy Workshop, such jobs are displayed in the Preps 6 format, while in Signature Selection, they are displayed in the Preps 5 format. This is just a difference in display. The page assignment is correct and the imposition will print correctly.
Auto Select in Prinergy Signature Selection
The use of Auto Select in Prinergy Signature Selection may produce different results from the use of Auto Select in Preps. Check that Auto Select produces the expected results.
If required, you can use Move Up or Move Down to adjust the signature order, or use Add or Delete to get the right signature.
To prevent the problem, edit the
PrepsPrinergy.cfg and the
PrepsPrinergy.cfg.template files to include the line:
Workshop does not refresh when editing imposition with keep existing page set option.
When editing an imposition and keeping the existing page set, when you return to Workshop from Preps, the imposition status shown in Workshop may not be updated to reflect the changes made in Preps. If this occurs, quitting and restarting Workshop should refresh the job's imposition information to show the correct state of the imposition. [PRINERGY-45308]
Regardless of the status of the enabled/disabled status of individual custom fields, all custom fields will be displayed in Dashboard. [PRINERGY-29639]
Limitations with SMB 2 and SMB 3 on Windows Servers in mixed environments
By default, Prinergy servers running Windows Server 2012 R2 are shipped with SMB 2 and 3 enabled. For best performance, all Prinergy servers and tertiary servers should be running Windows Server 2012 R2. If any of the Prinergy servers are running Windows Server 2008 R2 or any of the tertiary servers are not running Windows Server 2012 R2, SMB 2 and 3 need to be disabled so that SMB 1 is used. If this is not done, this can cause performance and file access/transfer issues. For assistance in disabling SMB 2 and 3, contact your local support representative.
In Prinergy 8.1.1 SMB 2 on Windows Server 2008 R2 will be automatically disabled.
- In some cases, SMB 3 may introduce performance issues in homogeneous Windows 2012 R2 environments. In those cases, reverting to SMB 1 has generally been shown to restore previous performance.
- If SMB 3 was previously disabled due to the above performance or file consistency issues, it will need to be disabled again after upgrading to Prinergy 8.1.1. Contact your local support representative after you have completed the upgrade to have SMB 3 disabled again.