Use the Layouts Search tool to quickly find a suitable fold pattern or template for creating a press-run layout. When you use fold patterns, you can also change the default page and sheet sizes as needed.
- On the Layouts pane, click the Search tool.
The search options that appear depend on whether you already used this tool.
- If no criteria selection list appears, click [+].
- In the criteria selection list, choose Page Count, and specify how many page positions are required in the layout.
This filters the lists in the Layouts pane.
- Click [+] as needed to add criteria and narrow the search results. You can specify:
- Page Count
- Binding Style
- Work Style
- Page Size
- Stock Size
- Page Grid (horizontal: X, vertical: Y)
- Section Count
- Review the filtered list of layouts.
- If the results are not satisfactory, repeat the search with different criteria. You can:
- Change criteria selections.
- Click [–] to remove criteria.
- Click Reset to clear all your criteria selections, and start over with new selections.
- Select a Templates or Fold Patterns layout, and drag it to the press sheet.
- If you select a fold pattern:
- The template pages are pre-numbered according to the fold sequence.
- The page size is derived from the General tab on the Preferences dialog box.
- The Properties pane displays the section's properties, including the fold pattern name.
- If you select a template:
- The template pages are numbered by the template.
- The page size is derived from the template signature.
- The Properties pane displays the section's properties, including the template and template signature name.
- And in either case:
- In the Press Runs List, the Section column for this press run displays a sequentially assigned product and section number for the new imposition, and the same information appears on the new section's pages in the workspace.
- In the Pages List, a run-list page position is created for each imposition page position.
- The Products list includes a new section and section page count.
- If you select a fold pattern:
- In the Press Runs List, select the press run.
- In the Properties pane, select the Auto Select Signature check box.
- Drag the customer's PDF file from its folder location or the Files list to the low-folio position of the imposition.
- The pages flow through the template pages in sequence.
- The required number of press runs and impositions is automatically generated to accommodate the run-list pages, which flow into position according to the template page numbering.
- If you switch to the Pages view, you will see that the run list contains the PDF file's pages. It shows the file name and actual color for each page, including any pages that are not yet placed.
- In the workspace, check and adjust the layouts and trims as needed.
If you used a fold pattern, you can edit individual head, foot, face, spine, and lip trims. If you used a template, you can edit one gutter to apply the same gutter width to every page in the page grid.
- In the Marks list, select and double-click marks or a mark group to add them to the currently selected press-run layout.
The mark name remains highlighted in the Marks list until you delete or edit the placed instance of this mark.