For a flexographic press, define the Mindot bump and cutoff curves in the Mindot Bump / Cutoff section of the Device Curves Definition dialog box.
- For LAMS plates, it's recommended that you characterize the press with a linear transfer curve. Use the default Mindot Tint In value and increase the Minimum Tint Out value to the minimum printable dot.
- If your flexographic device uses a hybrid screening system that delivers a smooth, continuous color response from the substrate color through the highlights of all inks, then the flexo discontinuity is eliminated. The flexo device behaviors in ColorFlow are similar to other device types.
- Define the Process Inks (CMYK) and Spot Inks Mindot:
- To use bump curves, enter 0.39 in the Tint In box and enter minimum printable dot value in the Minimum Tint Out box.
- To use cutoff curves, enter the minimum printable dot value in both the Tint In and Minimum Tint Out boxes.
- Do the following:
- To convert the Tint In value you entered to a tint percentage value that corresponds to an 8-bit value between 0 and 255, select the Snap Tint In to 8-bit values check box. For example, if you enter 0.5%, the value snaps to 0.39%, which corresponds to system value 1.
- To preserve the Tint In value as entered, such as 1.00%, clear the Snap Tint In to 8-bit values check box.
- If this device condition contains a device pool, to improve color match of the promoted device, select the Allow Tint Out increase to improve color match check box only if the color response of the promoted device is darker than of this device.
- To adjust the transition from the Mindot to the defined curve, adjust the Highlight Contrast slider or enter a value in the box. For most cases, the default value of 70% is acceptable.
- Reducing Highlight Contrast produces a curve that is flatter near the Mindot, meeting the defined curve at a lower point but reducing contrast in this region.
- Increasing Highlight Contrast produces a curve that preserves highlight contrast, but meets the defined curve at a higher point.
- Click OK.