You can create a tonal only chart to generate curves for tonal calibration. You can use this chart to characterize a sheet-wise tonal response of your print device.
- In a device condition, click the Measurements icon next to a device.
- Click the Add button .
- In the Chart Type list, choose Tonal only.
- Configure the chart:
- In the Page list, select the spectrophotometer that you will use to measure the pages of this chart. The measuring device type that you select determines the maximum size of measurement pages in the chart.
- In the Color Bar list, select the device that you will use to scan the color bar at the bottom of each form. The color bar may be used to perform sheet selection from a press run.
Note: If your chart size is too narrow, the color bar will not appear and you will not be able to use it to perform sheet selection.
- In the Width box, enter the maximum allowable width of the form(s). In the Height box, type the height of the form(s) that you want to create. Usually, this is the safe printable width on your printing device, excluding marks and color bars.
- In the Form Layout area, do the following:
- To create a chart filled with as many patches as possible to maximize the quality of the measured characterization data, click Fill Printable Area .
- To create a full-color chart that contains only the minimum number of color patches needed to characterize the printing device, click Minimize Form Width. The height of the chart will be set equal to the height specified for the printable area; the width of the chart will be reduced without eliminating necessary patches.
- If the substrate is not completely opaque and you need to print the same color patches on both sides of the sheet, select Front and Back Forms.
- Specify the fold lines and/or cut lines that will be used by the in-line folder of your web press. Because folding or other mechanical action on paper affects color, measurement pages are not printed on fold lines and/or cut lines.
To specify fold lines and/or cut lines, in the Force Page Breaks area, select the number of partitioned areas you want to have across and down the form. The default value is 1 across, 1 down—that is, one contiguous area with no fold and/or cut lines.
In the following example, a chart was created with no fold lines and/or cut lines. The printable area is divided into six measurement pages to accommodate the measurement device.When you change the value for Across to 2, the measurement pages are resized in order to avoid a vertical fold and cut line in the center of a chart, as indicated by the orange line in the chart illustration in ColorFlow (this orange line does not appear in the exported PDF file.) In the following example, each half of the printable area of the chart is subdivided into four measurement pages to accommodate the measurement device.
- To apply a uniform background tint in all areas outside the measurement pages to assist with ink takeoff on all ink channels, select the Background Tint check box.
- Roll your mouse over the chart. If the chart extends over multiple forms, an indicator appears and displays the form number of the form that you are current viewing. Click the arrows on the indicator to view a different form.
- Your chart is assigned a default name. To rename your chart , double-click the chart name and then enter a meaningful name.
- Click Save .
- To export the chart, click Export and save the chart for printing.
The tonal characterization chart is created as an imposition-ready PDF file. If the chart has multiple forms to accommodate a small printable area, each form is a separate page in the exported PDF file.