ColorFlow provides several built-in CMYK reference device conditions that encapsulate the color response of industry specifications or printing aim points. If you want to use an arbitrary color response that you have measured from a printed sample, such as a supplied proof or purchased reference sheet, you can create a custom CMYK reference device condition. This activity is to create a print calibration curve to match a custom specification that you create.
Create a custom CMYK device condition using a set of measurement data and then refine a print calibration curve that you created in a previous activity to match the custom CMYK device condition.
Task 1: Create a custom CMYK device condition
- Click the Device Conditions tab.
- Click the Add button .
- Drag the CMYK Reference to the viewer window.
- Click the Properties icon
- In the Name box, enter
XX custom device condition(where xx = your initials).
- Click OK.
- Create a Tint Ramp chart:
- Click the Measurement icon
- In the Charts section, click the Add button
A chart appears in the Charts list with a default name. .
- From the Chart Type list, choose Tint Ramp.
- In the Tint Set section, click the Edit button .
- Click the Add button
0 10 25 50 75 90 100. and enter
- Click OK.
- Click Save.
- Enter the measurement value:
- Click Measure.
- Click Enter manually.
- In the Channels Binding section, click C, M, Y, K Same.
In the Tonal Response section, enter the following EDA values:
0 0 10 14 25 34 50 69 75 84 90 94 100 100
Click OK and close the Device Measurements dialog box.
- In the Device Condition list table, find the CMYK device condition you just created and select the Show in Target Lists check box.
Task 2: Redefine the print curve target
- In the Calibration Curves table list, click XX new print calibration curve for tonal match to show it in the viewer window.
- Click the Conversion icon .
- Click Redefine.
- Click the Process Inks tab and choose XX custom device condition from the Target list.
- From the Curves Method list, choose Tonal Match.
- Click OK.
A print calibration curve is generated to match the custom device condition you created.
Task 3: Output a job using the newly created print calibration curve
- In Prinergy, create a new job, and name it as
XX tonal match for custom spec(where XX = your initials).
- Refine Chart_TintRamp_CMYK.pdf with 1stRef-Normz.
- Output the PDF file using Virtual Proof.LoosePage with the print curve you just created:
- In your Virtual Proof.LoosePage Process template dialog box, from the Output To list, choose Virtual Proof.
- Leave ColorFLow Color Relationship Management unchecked.
- Expand the Calibration & Screening panel.
- Click the ColorFlow Current State radio button.
- Expand the Print Curve drop down list and select curve XX new print calibration curve for tonal match .
- Open the generated page in VPS and measure the 10%, 25%, 50%, 75%, and 90% black patch.
Confirm that the plate calibration curve has been applied: 10% measures 10.7; 25% measures 30.8; 50% measures 59.9; 75% measures 79.4; 90% measures 89.6.
You have created a print calibration curve to tonal match a custom specification.